The Partnership to Fight Chronic Disease (PFCD) is pleased to convene this important half-day program that will engage the region’s diverse health care and public policy stakeholders to address the obesity epidemic. The PFCD believes that addressing obesity in America is a national priority, and by doing so, we can improve health outcomes and save billions of dollars by better managing and preventing obesity and obesity-related chronic diseases. The panelists will discuss the many facts of obesity’s impact on our society, in particular, the cost of obesity to California and the complexities of diabetes, diversity and disparities.
The obesity epidemic afflicting the United States impacts scores of people regardless of age, gender or race. But recently released statistics from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) show that minority groups experience not only obesity rates at greater levels than their white counterparts, but also higher rates of diabetes and multiple chronic conditions. This event will seek to examine these trends, identify what is behind this meteoric increase in disease and better understand what California should be doing to address it.
The program featured several local, state and national leaders. Together we can educate the public about obesity and potential solutions for individuals and communities.
8:45 am, PDT
- California State Senator Alex Padilla
Welcome and Setting the Stage
9:00-9:30 am, PDT
- Ken Thorpe, Ph.D., Chairman of the Partnership to Fight Chronic Disease, Professor and Chair at the Rollins School of Public Health at Emory University, and Former Deputy Assistant Secretary for the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
Covered California: Expanding Coverage, Promoting Value and Supporting At-Risk Enrollees
9:30 - 10:15 am, PDT
- Kim Belshé, Executive Director for First 5 LA and Board Member of Covered California
Can Government Afford to Ignore the Cost of Obesity
10:15 - 11:00 am, PDT
- Tommy G. Thompson, Former U.S. Health and Human Services Secretary and Governor of Wisconsin
Panel Discussion: Obesity, Diabetes, Diversity and Disparities
11:00 am - 12:15 pm, PDT
- Dr. Jonathan E. Fielding, M.D., M.P.H., Director, County of Los Angeles Department of Public Health (panel moderator)
- Dr. Xavier Morales, Executive Director, Latino Coalition for a Healthy California
- Marion Standish, Senior Advisor to the Office of the President, California Endowment
- Dr. Ken Fujioka, Director of Center for Weight Management, Director of the Nutrition and Metabolic Research Center, Scripps Clinic, Dept. of Diabetes and Endocrinology
- Dr. Eric Walsh, Director of Public Health/Health Officer, City of Pasadena
Lunch keynote speaker
12:30 - 1:15 pm, PDT
- John J. Castellani, President & CEO, Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America (PhRMA)
Tuesday, October 22, 2013
8:00 a.m. - 2:30 p.m.
Los Angeles Athletic Club
431 W. 7th St.
Los Angeles, CA 90014