On Tuesday, January 10, Health Affairs will release its January 2012 issue, “Confronting the Growing Diabetes Crisis.” The volume explores the challenges that the increase in prevalence of prediabetes and diabetes represents for public health and health care systems in the United States and internationally. A particular focus of the issue is opportunities for diabetes prevention.
Read “The Affordable Care Act Lays The Groundwork For A National Diabetes Prevention And Treatment Strategy” by Kenneth Thorpe from Health Affairs January 2012 issue.
View Kenneth Thorpe's presentation (PPT).
The issue was funded by United Health Foundation, Novo Nordisk and the New York State Health Foundation, with additional briefing support from the Partnership to Fight Chronic Disease.
Please join us for a briefing at the Hyatt Regency Washington on Capitol Hill on January 10, 8:30 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. as we unveil the issue. Among the speakers and authors who contributed will be:
- Regina Benjamin, Surgeon General of the United States (invited)
- Ann Albright, Centers for Disease Prevention and Control, on A Nationwide Community-Based Lifestyle Program Could Delay Or Prevent Type 2 Diabetes Cases And Save $5.7 Billion In 25 Years
- Robb Cohen, XL Health Corporation, on Medicare Advantage Chronic Special Needs Plan Diabetes Program Reduced Hospitalizations And Readmissions
- Rachel Garfield, The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation, on Higher Costs and Service Use In Medicaid Enrollees With Diabetes Holds Implications For Medicaid Expansion Under Health Reform
- Richard Kahn, University of North Carolina Chapel Hill, on Reducing the Impact of Diabetes: Is Prevention Feasible Today or Should We Aim for Better Treatment?
- K.M. Venkat Narayan, Emory University, on Global Prevention And Control Of Type 2 Diabetes Will Require Paradigm Shifts In Policies Within And Among Countries
- Kenneth Thorpe, Emory University, on Building A National Diabetes Prevention And Treatment Strategy: Opportunities Provided By The Affordable Care Act
- Reed V. Tuckson, Executive Vice President and Chief of Medical Affairs, UnitedHealth Group
- Deneen Vojta, UnitedHealth Group, on Effective Interventions For Stemming The Growing Crisis Of Diabetes and Prediabetes: A National Payer’s Perspective
- Mike Mawby, Chief Government Affairs Officer, Novo Nordisk
- Susan Dentzer, Editor-in-Chief, Health Affairs
- Additional speakers to be announced
Tuesday, January 10, 2012
Hyatt Regency Washington on Capitol Hill (Union Station)
Health Affairs is the leading journal at the intersection of health, health care, and policy. Published by Project HOPE, the peer-reviewed journal appears each month in print, with additional Web First papers published periodically and health policy briefs published twice monthly at www.healthaffairs.org. You can also find the journal on Facebook and Twitter. Read daily perspectives on Health Affairs Blog. Download weekly Narrative Matters podcasts on iTunes.
Building a National Diabetes Prevention and Treatment System
View event videos and listen to audio posted on the Health Affairs site.